Thursday, May 2, 2013

A Time For Prayer

In my previous post I mentioned that I notice God's presence while I'm praying. I know that he is listening whenever I am talking to Him. It is always very comforting. I love knowing that wherever I am, I can pray because God is everywhere! You can pray to Him in your car, while shopping, in bed, at work, while out on a hike, ANYWHERE! That's what's so, so amazing. Where do you like to pray?

For me, I enjoy praying while I'm alone and when it's quiet because it allows me to just talk with God and be with Him. My favorite place to pray is at a chapel because that's God's home, but when I'm out living life, I prefer to pray while I'm doing something that doesn't involve much thinking. This allows me to do what I'm doing with God. I used to pray right before I go to bed, but I find that that's not the best option for me because I normally get sidetracked with other thoughts or I fall asleep, so I started praying while doing other things. My family recently got a treadmill, and instead of listening to my iPod or watching TV while working out, I pray. It's very nice. I also used to pray while walking from my apartment to my class every morning. It's was always very quiet and peaceful at 8 or 9 in the morning, and it allowed me to be with God. These are just a few examples of when I like to pray. Sometimes I'll just stop what I'm doing and pray for a minute for a special intention.

This leads me to asking, how do you pray? My favorite way of praying is just talking with God and being with Him. I thank God for what he has blessed me with and I ask Him for things that my family, friends, and other people that I know need. I also enjoy reading specific prayers written to God, Mary, and other saints, but sometimes I don't feel a deep connection with God whenever I'm reading something. At times I do (it depends on the prayer) but many times I don't. Like I said, I prefer just talking with God while I pray.

Do you have a favorite prayer? If I had to pick one, I'd pick the Serenity Prayer.

God grant me the serenity 
to accept the things I cannot change; 
courage to change the things I can;
and  the wisdom to know the difference.

It's so pretty, and I  totally need it right now at this point in my life.

Have a wonderful day.

God Bless,
Emily


No comments:

Post a Comment